From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Johnson, Christopher
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2018 9:58 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Airtame

Hi Jess,

I haven't worked with it personally (our university has started to make heavy
use of the Kramer VIAs (https://www.kramerav.com/product/VIA%20Connect%20PRO) -
although I've seen it heavily advertised on my Facebook news feed with several
individuals stating "too expensive/just use a Chromecast" - despite them
providing articles that each device serves a different environment (Enterprise
vs Home) - https://airtame.com/chromecast-alternative

-          Some of the big things they point out - can supply an IP Address
directly to the Airtame without the need of mDNS/SSDP
o   Native Screen mirroring from iOS devices still requires multicast enabled.
This was true for our Kramer VIA devices - you had limited functionality within
the iOS Kramer App - if left the app - the connection would close. However,
somehow, Kramer has gotten around this limitation through their "Kramer Reveal"
companion app. Somehow the Kramer Reveal App allows a user to enter an IP
Address - which converts it and allow the iOS device to discover it as if mDNS
was enabled. Pretty nice that they found a way to get around that limitation -
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/via-reveal/id1124805001?mt=8
-          Support from WPA Enterprise Networks (Not sure if just EAP-PEAP,
EAP-TLS, etc)
-          Cloud/Device Management
-          Cast locally hosted files/video streams
-          The Airtame does support an "Ethernet Connection" method.

Almost all of our Kramer VIAs have a detected wired network connection.
Performing screen-mirroring from a wireless client to a wireless server always
makes me nervous as twice the airtime consumed. We've had a couple people
complain about lag  from time to time - when think was attributed to memory
issues on the Kramer. Other folks I feel they're trying to watch/stream a
YouTube video presentation. Another comparison article from Airtame -
https://airtame.com/kramer-via-go-alternative

The only "vendor discussion" I've seen so far In the community forums was
recently on the Airheads community forums concerning an issue with Airtame on
RAPs and NAT - although they were trying to get SSDP/mDNS functionality working
on the RAPs -
http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Access/Airgroup-Airplay-amp-Airtame-devices-with-RAPS/m-p/410199

Christopher Johnson
Wireless Network Engineer
AT Infrastructure Operations & Networking (ION)
Illinois State University
(309) 438-8444
Stay connected with ISU IT news and tips with @ISU IT Help on
Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/ISUITHelp/> and