I’d pay a fair price for an easily administered solution that lets us roll out
PPSK in the dorms and deploy broadcast/multicast domains scoped to specific
users.

We run eduroam and a completely open guest SSID. The open SSID has no captive
portal, no click through terms of services, and no restrictions on Internet
access for content or speed. That SSID bridges through to VLANs in a DMZ, and
its only real restriction is that it can only reach proper public IP addresses
on campus, plus 2-3 applications on private IPs that are specifically
permitted. That’s enforced on the firewalls between campus and the DMZ.
We do see quite a lot of students on that SSID permanently. As a huge amount of
our student applications are either cloud hosted or available on the public
Internet, that works just fine for them. We’d prefer them on eduroam, but user
experience trumps our preferences. The only real problem are devices such as
Sonos sound bars, Google appliances, and other devices that will only support
PSKs for wireless. For those we don’t have a solution right now.

Once WPA3/OWE is out and widely supported I genuinely don’t know how much we’ll
care about where devices are. At that point it seems not just more user
friendly but easier for IT overall to just throw reasonable security in front
of web apps that the student and faculty population need to access, and let
them sit on the SSID that’s easier to get on to. Administrative machines under
central control would probably be kept on properly authenticated networks, but
those are easier to solve if you have reasonable mass device management options.

For what it’s worth, we use the eduroam CAT tool for onboarding.

thx,

Felix Windt
Dartmouth College

From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Community Group Listserv