From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Community Group Listserv
<WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU> on behalf of Angelo Santabarbara
<asantabarb...@siena.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2020 3:35 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU <WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Pod-style Residence Halls

We still provide 1 port per pillow in our residence halls.  Our pod style dorm
units are what led us to the hospitality access point model. Between the very
thick concrete walls to all the utilities run on the "open side of the pod"
ceiling mounted hallway solutions performed poorly.  Wireless just did not work
to our students expectations until we went to this model.  These pods are
fairly large so we have 1 AP in every room.  We implemented Ruckus H510's that
have the added benefit of providing 4 additional hardwired ports in the room.
If money is tight perhaps the hospitality AP can provide both the wireless and
wired port solution for every room.

—Angelo D. Santabarbara
Director Networks & Systems | Siena College
O 518-782-6996
E asantabarb...@siena.edu
W siena.edu

 ***Siena ITS staff will NEVER ask for your password or other confidential
information via email.***

The Siena experience is built for a new generation of leaders eager to create a
more just, peaceful and humane world. It empowers them through a transformative
journey of intellectual, spiritual and personal discovery.