On Aug 6, 2020, at 09:51, Enfield, Chuck
<cae...@psu.edu<mailto:cae...@psu.edu>> wrote:

How can we fulfill DMCA requirements when we can’t even identify a device, let
alone the user?  If you want to remain anonymous, use a different network.

IANAL, and I don’t even play one on TV, but my admittedly old understanding of
the DMCA is that it’s not necessarily mandating that you have to be able to
identify every single device on your network.  Indeed, some institutions’
information to be able to take action.  So IMO, assuming (which is dangerous)
that I’m correct, that if MAC randomization puts an undue burden and/or large
obstacles on your ability to track down a device/user and cut it off from the
network, the DMCA alone shouldn’t be seen as a mandate to try to disable MAC
randomization.

--
Julian Y. Koh
Associate Director, Telecommunications and Network Services

2020 Ridge Avenue #331
Evanston, IL 60208
+1-847-467-5780
Northwestern IT Web Site: <http://www.it.northwestern.edu/>