I spent some time tinkering with a 9105AXW in AireOS recently. It's
definitely not quite right and behaves differently than the 1810W/1815W. I
hope it just has buggy software that will be fixed in the future. I haven't
tried the wired ports in c9800 yet, I know that was the actual question.
I'll share my AireOS experience anyway.

In AireOS the regular RLAN configs* do* work 9105AXW, without any special
configs or CLI commands. All I had to do was reboot the AP after making any
AP group port config changes, just one reboot was all it needed. After
hours of troubleshooting and changing configs, that's all it ended up
being. From then on it works fine, as long as you don't change the port
configs. I didn't use port-override to enable the ports. Not sure if that's
helpful for c9800. If anything, I guess it just adds +1 to the sentiment:
"Something isn't right" with these APs.

Unrelated to 9105AXW, but regarding bulk configurations, I've been doing
most of it in Excel and pasting into the WLC. Lame, I know, but it works.
With the AP MAC addresses in the spreadsheet already, enter the building,
floor, room, distinguisher, and spits out all of the WLC commands for each
AP. Copy/paste the commands into a text editor, replace tabs with newlines,
and copy/paste into the WLC. The columns that are just "y" are because that
command wants you to confirm before it takes effect. Include that in what
you copy/paste. Here's what I've been using for AireOS config of a regular
AP. My naming convention is to use a hyphen to separate fields. The AP
model is prefixed with "AP" to differentiate between switches and other
things. The AP "Distinguisher" could be the AP number or the location in
the room (NW). The APs are named by Building-Floor-Room-Model-Distinguisher.

Substituting tabs to newlines, this line:

> config ap name BLDG-1-100-AP2802-NW 123456ABCDEE config ap location
> BLDG-1-100 BLDG-1-100-AP2802-NW config ap primary-base WLC-NAME
> BLDG-1-100-AP2802-NW 1.2.3.4 config ap group-name BLDG-1-APGROUP
> BLDG-1-100-AP2802-NW y config ap link-encryption enable
> BLDG-1-100-AP2802-NW y

Becomes:

> config ap name BLDG-1-100-AP2802-NW 123456ABCDEE
> config ap location BLDG-1-100 BLDG-1-100-AP2802-NW
> config ap primary-base WLC-NAME BLDG-1-100-AP2802-NW 1.2.3.4
> config ap group-name BLDG-1-APGROUP BLDG-1-100-AP2802-NW

Wait for AP reboot, then paste the last blob

> config ap link-encryption enable BLDG-1-100-AP2802-NW

Ethan Grinnell
CCIE Enterprise Infrastructure #39723, BS CmpE
Network Engineer
Office of Information Technology, Technology Infrastructure, Networking
Portland State University