Finding the relays to switch the DC on/off is the easy part, the hard part is how the relays will be told when to switch on and off.

You could always use the serial port on a Mikrotik or RAP board, but an application would need to be installed on the OS, that does not allow third party applications installed.

You hit on a very weak part of this industry. A reliable and inexpensive solution is only as reliable as the weakest and most expensive equipment required to complete the total solution.

The concept of a relay is simple, but the whole package is needed. Right now we have $200-$300 ethernet manual switch devices, and $150-$250 auto-ping reboot devices, and $200-$300 smart power monitoring UPS, but really you need to buy one of each for every install to have a complete solution.

All it takes is a small Linux app on Mikrotik and a $8 relay and all a sudden the solution opens up the door to a whole new level of reliabilty for WISPs.

The need....

1) UPS - that does NOT force AC power off on battery failure. I shouldn't have down time when a battery fails, I should have an alert. All fuses should be time based auto-resetting fuse to prevent truck rolls to press a fuse reset.

2) UPS - remote monitoring - Need to alert us when power has failed. Need to alert us and/or log when a severe surge or drop has occurred (for troubleshooting reasons for radio lockups).

3) UPS regulated power, to make sure clean constant power is delivered to the Radio, not just battery backup on power outage.

4) Manual remote reboot - via Ethernet I must be able to cycle power on devices connected to correct error conditions where the link is up and reboot device accessable.

5) Auto ping reboot - ability to reboot failed links, when the link is not up and reboot device not remote accessable.

6) Option to support 1 to 8 relays.

7) Flexible configuration of unit, so easy config of IP configuration. (not DHCP). Preferrably with support for two IP from seperate subnets, so reboot device can be accessable from redundant link paths.

8) Price under $100.

The problem is that today there are two seperate devices, 1) remote reboot technology and 2) UPS. They should be one and the same. to reduce duplicacy of hardware and management. Its logical that one device
be used to control these similar power related components.

In the case that the two components must stay seperate because the manufacturers in this industry just don't get it, then each of the two components need to be complete in there responsibilities for the solution. You brought up a good popint that really all WISPs need is a DC solution instead of a AC solution. But then the solution should be easilly integrated into the power injection system. Easy connector blocks for the DC power supply wires to interconnect with and/or CAT5 wiring to connect with.

The problem is that companies like APC break components into two clasess HIGH end and low end, but not something right in the middle. The solution needs to allow for a UPS/Reboot device to be installed at EVERY subscriber site. That means under $100. We can't justify UPS SMART models at > $400 a pop. Today the only UPS models supported by Linux by APC is the expensive SMART series! APC needs to understand the need for Linux support on their desktop model units.

I'd like to see Stations-server and Mikrotik rise to the occasion to include a application on their OS to control these DC relays for auto-ping radio rebooting.

The first step to this was the new Smart POE VLAN Ethernet switches. It allows the manual rebooting of devices, but not necessarilly all the other needed things like auto-ping, or support for multiple voltages not 802.3af compliant.

The $80 Home APC, looked like a good first start for APC, but its clearly meant for home use, not a carrier's use for subscriber units.

Unless a UPS gives increased value add other than power outage backup, I believe the UPS becomes more of a liability than an advantage. It means a truck roll to replace batteries every year or two, and an added non-planned outage every one or two years.

Just my two sense on Power systems. Don't forget to vent to your UPS manuafacturer, so they are aware of the market need for CPE power solutions.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband

----- Original Message ----- From: "Blair Davis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>