We use bandwidth shaping on *nix. works fine. currently the profile for one site manages 500+ IP based up and downstream. Its one of our few home-brew items. Of course, its all open source, so I don't need to worry about support on this particular item.

John Thomas wrote:

Mark, go over to http://www.mikrotik.com/download.html#dude

See if it does some/all of what you need.
As for limiting/shaping, your 3640 may do what you need.

John

Mark Nash wrote:

I'm at the point on my network now that I really need to control unnecessary bandwidth usage. The biggest problem is the p2p users with their excessive upload, and worms come in a close second. My network is comprised of a Cisco 3640, Cisco C4840G L3 switch for segmenting, and Dell 3324 managed switches. I have run ntop in the past but I believe it only reports interactively through the web interface. I wouldn't consider myself too far off from obtaining an SNMP station/software like SNMPc. I'm needing to implement a solution that will monitor, alert on, and control this type of traffic. Either not pass it or rate-limit it. I'm interested in solutions that have been implemented, home-grown, tested, failed, etc. Thanks in advance... Mark Nash
Network Engineer
UnwiredOnline.Net
325 Holly Street
Junction City, OR 97448