See inline...

ly. But
no email server worth it's salt should dump it's spool and put
out an undeliverable bounce in that amount of time.

I disagree. Your view is old school, and todays a new world. The trend is that people want to know when their messages are not successfully delivered to the recipient. Its a have it right now world. Sending mail to a backup queuem waiting for the recipient to come back up, is a disservice to the recipient and the sender. They'd rather just know the message didn't get through, and they know they must call up the subscriber instead.

Secondly, having backup MX records for store and forward servers can create a horrible open door for Spammers.

In todays world, I believe scondary MX records should be used solely, to redirect to a redundant real time delivery mail server. Its better to send back undeliverable reports than to hold mail infering a fake sense that it was delviered.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc