----- Original Message -----
From: "A. Huppenthal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 1:09 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Things you might be interested in

> Did you try RMS for your monitoring / control hardware?
> http://www.bndcom.com/rms/rms.htm

yes, I've seen them, and what they do can be done for a fraction of the
cost.

> They are $500 list, have 3 relays remote controllable - NO/and NC
> connections, so if you want a fail over to closed you can do it. There's
> 5 or 6 voltmeters, a 1/2 dozen TTL level contact closure sense items,
> low current draw - decent scripts.

Yeah.   Similar idea, but lower power draw, simpler.

> Haven't seen any for $200, but the guys at BND have said they are
> working on a new one - maybe lower cost.
>
> ---
> What do you mean by thermo-electric generator? Something that works from
> Geo-Thermal sources?

As I said, run on propane.   It generates DC power without any interference
or ignition noise.   It has no moving engine or generation parts.   It
directly converts heat to electric energy.    These are available
commercially now, but nobody makes them with an ethernet based monitor /
controller, and they cost a fortune - many thousands of dollars, or else
they are very small, and don't make enough power to be useful to a WISP.

> Sterling has some interesting stuff. .:_)

Who / what?

> ---
>
> Great ideas. We've built lots of remote sites and frankly $800 / hour
> for a heli ride when things go south is crazy. We just don't do it. :-)

Well, the idea is to build some stuff that really is capable of running for
months without attention.    Solar sites are often built for small power
use, but generators that run on propane often don't like to start at 20
below, and you really can't tell what's going on if they don't seem to
start.