John:

In years previous, the telcos had whittled away at UNE to the point that if they deployed "advanced services" in the last mile - read fiber, even an inch of it in the neighborhood cable vault (and the rest remained copper), then the telcos didn't have to share. But if there was a copper loop from the home/business to the CO, UNE applied. That was then.

But with a recent Federal appeals court ruling, UNE is no more. There is NO legal requirement for telcos to share their copper at ALL.

Telcos have PRIVATE agreements to share the copper loop - Verizon just reached one with Covad, but now it's ENTIRELY at the OPTION of the telcos.

For you that are working with telcos, usually smaller ones, that don't seem inclined to take advantage of this leverage, count your blessings - they may well be fleeting.

The FCC wrangled something of a concession that the telcos wouldn't make major changes in existing UNE arrangements until June 2006.

But after June, the gloves are completely off. A lot of ISP business models will be completely wrecked.

You guys haven't been going to enough conferences and listening to very bright people like Kris Twomey try and explain such things to the (W)ISP industry. Shame on that Michael Anderson for putting Kris up in front of an audience to try to keep the WISP industry informed.

Thanks,

Steve