For anyone that cares to fact check this the guy at the FCC to talk to is John Reed. He wrote much of the part-15 rules. I ask him whenever I'm not sure.

Here goes:

900 mhz. max of 36 dB eirp. Period. Max radio output of 30 dB (1 watt) period.

5.1 is indoor only, very low power. I don't remember how much but I'm thinking 250mw or some such.

5.3 (sometimes called 5.2) 30 dB period. never more. I think the radios are limited to 24 dB (250mw). You CAN drop the radio output and run higher gain antennas and get very long ranges. We used to run a lot of 10 to 15 mile ptp links with Wireless Inc. radios.

5.7 (unii) has a strange power rule to it. I can't remember how it all works exactly, stick with manufacturer advice.

5.8 36 dB max for ptmp. for ptp (remember, customers are considered ptp) it's max of 30 dB of radio output, no limit on antenna gain.

OK, now for the most confusing one.
2.4. PTMP is 36 dB. Unless you run an active antenna or switched multiple sector distribution point that sees very small sectors then you can follow the ptp rules up to a certain point. Vivato and Navini are the only companies I know of that are certified under these rules. It's actually a much better idea for rural than urban deployments due to noise levels.

2.4 ptp is max of 30 dB (1 Watt) of radio (or amp) tx power and 6 dB of antenna gain. After that it's down one on tx power and up 3 dB on antenna gain. You can, legally run 10,000 watts at 2.4. All you need is one of those NASA type antennas to do it :-).

On the certification thing. All antennas use have to be of the same type (yagi, grid, dish, panel, omni, sector etc.), same pattern and equal or lesser gain than what's been certified.

If you are running radios that are certified only with 2.2 dB rubber ducky antennas, then you can't put anything bigger than that on them.

Penalties for not following the rules range from fines to replacement of the offending gear. Thus far I know of NO one that's been shut down but I do know of people who've had to change things out or get equipment specially certified.

Hope that helps,
Marlon
64.146.146.12 (net meeting)
www.odessaoffice.com/wireless