Jonathan Schmidt wrote:

> But, yes,
> the "Terms of Agreement" for broadband contracts usually specify limiting
> access to the premises on the address of the contract.  Otherwise, for $50
> an apartment manager could get a router and hub and wire up the building
> and "give free Internet access."

It all depends on the ISP. One of my personal favorites is Speakeasy, who
has a special program just for this.

http://www.speakeasy.net/netshare/learnmore/

It's not quite the same, but close. Basically you set up an access point
and secure it yourself, Speakeasy bills them, and give you 80% of whatever
they're billed. The end-user/el-cheapo-WISP-op selects their own price,
Speakeasy bills 'em and gives kickbacks. Basically what a lot of people
are doing anyway, I'm sure, just with more paperwork and less
TOS-violation.

As an aside, Speakeasy's TOS say you can't resell their "residential"
service plans, but there's no prohibition on this for "business" plans,
which only average an extra twenty bucks or so per month. They also give
out lots of static IPs on most of their plans, expressly permit end-users
to run most servers, and generally do all sorts of wacky stuff.

Despite working for a WISP, I can't get my company's service at my house.
If it were available here, I'd be a Speakeasy customer in no time, because
they're so "friendly" to the geek market.

David Smith
MVN.net