From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Chadd Thompson
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 10:39 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: RE: [WISPA] Interested in your experience..

Our network is currently made up of

Raylink FHSS
Trango 900
Raylink/Brilan DSSS
Alvarion 900
Trango Link-10

All in all we have had pretty good luck with all of the above once the
bugs
were worked out. The real workhorse of our network is Raylink FHSS but
we
are starting to move away from it due to the bandwidth limitations of
FHSS.
The raylink/brilan DSSS works fairly well but has some minor irritations
with regards to signal strength readouts and I am concerned about future
updates and upgrades from them.

The alvarion 900 works well but is a pain to install.

Trango 900 works well also but offers no indoor installation options and
cpe
costs are still high.

We are going to be setting up a few new pops this year and I would like
try out some new equipment, hopefully something that would work out well
enough to use for upgrading our existing network as time goes by.

I have looked into MT and StarOS due to the ability to be able to keep
the
equipment upgraded with software updates and if needed completely
replace
the software in the future using the same hardware. I also like the
thought
of having one platform that I could use for 2.4, 5.x and 900 in the
future.
What I am worried about is going through the hassle of building out all
the
CPE's keeping the software up to date and the cost is not all that
great. I
also want something that is aesthetically pleasing, rootennas are not
all
that attractive. I am also looking for something to put up and forget
about.

Demarc stuff looks pretty nice and the price is not bad but I had heard
of
some reliability issues in the past, they may have all been taken care
of by
now though. I also had a hard time getting a hold of anyone there in the
past when I was considering making a purchase. This may have changed
also
its been a while since I called.

Canopy looks attractive do to the one brand all bands and the pricing is
tolerable. I am not sure I like being stuck with Vert polarity, its
noisy
here and it kind of scares me going with proprietary equipment.

The Trango 2.4, not really sure why I put this down because it really
doesn't seem competitive cost wise. I am interested in what type of
performance people are getting out of them though and how they are doing
in
noisy environments. The 900 is not all that great when it is noisy in my
experience.

I am interested in the waverider for one particular residential area
that
would be very nice to have a preconfigured radio for someone to pick up
and
do a self install indoors. Getting rid of a truck roll and having to
have
something on the outside of the home.

Also looking for a backhaul to try besides the link-10 from trango.
Would
like to find something in the 5.8 band with similar throughputand
latency of
trango for the same or less $$. This is another reason I thought about
MT,
StarOs, Demarc stuff was for multiple radios on the same board so the AP
and
BH could be the same piece of hardware and software.

Just looking for some comments in general about the different options
and
why you did/didn't pick one over the other.

Thanks,
Chadd