Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 11:36 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] TRANGO- changes history

I hate those routers, really.  I find thier configuration mechanisms frustrating or annoying.  Some are just downright almost unworkable.

Since my CPE does full routing / NAT firewalling, etc...    I still love it.  That's an extra box I don't ahve to buy and whatnot.

And yes, I understand you CAN use these.   I love the reliability and s tability of my staros boxes.  I think in the last 12 months I've had 1 or 2 WRAP based CPE need rebooted or restarted.   Having the exact same thing at every site is nice :)   It would take me a while to develop confidence in one of those consumer level routers.

North East Oregon Fastnet, LLC 509-593-4061
personal correspondence to:  mark at neofast dot net
sales inquiries to:  purchasing at neofast dot net
Fast Internet, NO WIRES!
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 8:26 PM

We have been installing Linksys / Dlink / Belkin routers at every install for almost 4 years. Customers get an "internal" wireless, we help protect them by having a firewall, and we then have a device we can monitor (with ping) to check their connection.

Travis
Microserv

Mark Koskenmaki wrote:
Man if I only had a $75 CPE, I could...  Be dreaming?   Sorry, Tom, I had to
do that.

It's great to see a decent product hit the $150 level.

It's not going to "lure" me away from my staros yet.   It may, however, end
up being deployed if the AP turns out to be affordable for those smaller
cells.   If I can put up a 2-4 mile across cell (using omni, not sector) and
sell 5Mbit connections to 10 to 20 people per cell...  It might be less
costly than my star-os system.   I am not yet prepared to give up on routing
at the cpe end for normal installs.

-