Remember "free" dialup? I thought I was going to be SO broke. I had a quarter million $ worth of leases on modem pools and was charging $20 and thought I was going to have a heart attack when K-Mart's bluelight.net free dialup came to my town. Guess what, only one person switched to them and they came back in a month. I still get the $20 per account and I still get new customers and people coming back to me from other "cheap" dialup providers to this day. The broadband business is exactly the same deal. The lesson learned is this. Charge what you need to to make a profit and build your business. Do not let the price gouging change your business plan. Your plan should still work if it was a good plan to begin with. Track your customer movements. When they leave ask therm why. When they join ask them why. Write it down. Look at these once a week and see what works and what does not. If less than 5 % of your customers are leaving for a cheaper service then this is not a factor to even consider.
Scriv

Mac Dearman wrote:

Through a promotion, AT&T has again cut its DSL price to $12.99 per month for the first 12 months in an attempt to aggressively woo potential customers as an alternative to cable companies. After a one-year contract, the price increases to $29.99. AT&T also cut its mid-tier DSL offering to $17.99 from $21.99, which jumps to $34.99 after 12 months. Verizon launched a $14.99 DSL service with a slower connection speed last August. It will be interesting to see if this DSL price change bundles into AT&T's CallVantage for a better offering.

To learn more about this story:
- read AT&T's press release <http://lists.fiercemarkets.com/c.html?rtr=on&s=69l,i03n,lcs,2kwo,40ip,1d89,9vae>

  How cheap is "cheap enough" and will it ever stop?

Mac Dearman
Maximum Access, LLC.
Authorized Barracuda Reseller
MikroTik RouterOS Certified