From: Travis Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 10:50:36
To:WISPA General List <wireless@wispa.org>
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Generator --> UPS

Hi,

Is your generator a "computer friendly" type? We have both a Honda and
Yamaha 1000 generators that deliver clean power (you can plug
electronics into them directly without problems). Those will charge the
UPS. The other thing we did was hook up a 5 gallon gas can with fuel
line directly to the fuel line on the generator. It was about $10 worth
of parts (including the 5 gallon can) and the generator will now run for
24-26 hours straight on 5 gallons of gas.

Travis
Microserv

Mark Nash wrote:

Winds in my area knocked power out early this morning (GEORGE R -
heard you guys had 100mph gusts on the Oregon coast...how'd it go?).

I power all my WiPOPs with an APC UPS (Smart-UPS 700) and grid power.
They keep the sites up for 2-3 hours depending on equipment load at
the site.  I put in a SNMP card (AP9617 - can e-mail upon many
different UPS events without having a SNMP server).  I get notified
that the site is on battery power...buys me time to get to the site
with a generator.

My goal is to have a generator that I can plug the UPS into.  Here's
the scenario I want:

1: Power out. I get notified that UPS is running on batteries.  Get
geared up.
2: Hook up generator to UPS.  (here's the important part) BATTERIES
CHARGE ON UPS.
3: UPS Battery gets fully charged.  I get notified 'fully charged'.
4: Fuel in generator runs out.  I get notified that UPS is running on
batteries.
5: Get fuel to site within 1-2 hours & restart generator.  GOTO 3:.

Site never goes down and I don't have to make unnecessary trips
because I think the generator might be low on fuel.  Last year we had
power down at a site down for 2.5 weeks.  Problem was that the site
was a last priority because the problem was past any homes with humans
in them. Shuttling gas to a generator twice a day for 3 hours of
driving for 2.5 weeks got very very very old very very very quickly.

I've got a generator now (Coleman 1850W).  Even with the power
sensitivity level set to low on the UPS's, it they won't run on the
generator.  So I think I need cleaner power.

Recommendations?

(power just came back up to my site...got notified by the UPS...gotta
go and take the equipment off the generator and plug it into the
UPS...customers down for 60 seconds while the Trango backhaul boots).

Mark Nash
Network Engineer
UnwiredOnline.Net
350 Holly Street