Matt,

I have no doubt, that you are prepairing yourself well for the future regarding VOIP. Its decissions like the ones you made to do MPLS and Redundant paths (in your case wired MESH), that will empower you to more reliably offer your own VOIP services On-Net, like you are doing.

The worst thing in the world you could do is bundle a 3rd party service that doesn't work very well and then because it is outsourced not be able to fix it.

However, that statement I do not agree with. I belive you concentrate first on mastering your core fundamental service, in many cases for WISPs, its "wireless". Until they got it perfect, wasting time on an additional service to also do partially well, is a mistake. When a WISP reaches the point that they can offer their wireless well and take on providing their own VOIP services well, then sure its a good decissions. Most WISPs expecially start ups ARE NOT in that possition. I see to many WISP fail because they take on more than they can handle. Its tough dealing with outsource companies that start providing poor service to your clients, but its even worse when you start providing poor service to your own clients yourself. When its the outsourced company, you can always shift blame to them, but when its yourself you have no choice but face the fire, without excuses.

-Matt

Tom DeReggi wrote:

MAtt,

I agree with you on most of your comments.
However, there is more to it.

Offering VOIP is not just about making money on it. Its about controlling who has access to your subscribers, if one does not have the time to be a VOIP provider themselves. Bundling is a necessarily part of succeeding going in to the future. Its more important that ever to outsource VOIP, if it will likely never be a profitable business. let someone else loose the money, and reap the rewards of bundling today. Give the companies access to your clients that will be the lowest threat.

What benefit is it to allow, Vonage, ATT, Comcast, Verizon access to your client base, by allowing your subscribers to choose their VOIP options?

So Matt, I agree if the ISP/WISP intends to make significant money on the service, build your own. But don't knock the Primus/CommPartner models, they have their purpose and will enable many WISPs/ISPs to have an option to offer, that don;t have the resources to build their own.

What this industry needs to recognize is that there are industry trends that are going to gain market share, because consumers demand them and are willing to buy. They don't care who makes or looses money, they jsut know how to compare retail price they pay to the quality the receive. JUst like Muni broadband, its a reality of something that is going to happen. So my point is, pick the companies that you want to help succeed, and which ones you want to help NOT succeed, because some of them ARE going to succeed.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Matt Liotta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>