Rick:

I think you're confused with 3.65 GHz (still in the works, FCC proposed "contention-based" sharing mechanism.)

This is an additional 255 MHz of spectrum around 5.4 GHz and IT requires Dynamic Frequency Sharing (I think?) - DFS - basically if the radio hears a US DOD RADAR system, it changes channels to get out of the way.

It's low power, but some interesting gear should come out for high-bandwidth, relatively short-range.

Mac:

It IS "available to everyone" - we'll see it used for WLANs. Good news is that it may well be enough to "encourage" WLANs and cordless phones to use that portion of the spectrum instead of 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz.

Thanks,

Steve