Well I'm with you there, George.  Other expenses grow with more customers,
though, such as administrative, fuel, insurance, bandwidth, tech support.
You can realize a lower cost per customer until it's time to buy more
bandwidth and pay for more tech support.

Then come non-recurring system upgrade costs such as higher-capacity
backhauls, new wipop, fiber, etc.  They have to be funded by customer
revenue if we don't want to go into debt.

It seems like the only thing to do is find the most economical of all those
things.  And more often than not, you get what you pay for.  For instance,
all our T-1's are from Sprint and their NOC is the best in the business.  I
receive phone calls from them when a circuit is down, before I or any of my
customers know about it.  So I go with "Company B" for cheaper bandwidth and
lose the Sprint support.  But maybe that's the thing to do if the priority
is to get cheaper bandwidth, and the trade-off is a lower level of service
from my provider.

It's time to spend more than 15 minutes on analyzing this, I think...

Mark Nash
Network Engineer
UnwiredOnline.Net
350 Holly Street