From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Tom DeReggi
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 2:52 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Licensed Backhaul options

Dustin,

You have showed how using both Pols, can reduce the sensitivity requirements of the radio, able to extend link distance, and likely aid in NLOS (that could degrade signal) as well.

However, when Tackling noise, that doesn't really help, does it? As the sensitivity drops, that RSSI level also gets closer to the noise floor, in many cases cancelling out the benefit.

So my question to you is.... have you seen the Dual Pol config help combat the noise? Meaning... Allowing the radio to operate closer to the noise floor at high modulations. Maybe by rebuilding the wave by comparing them? For example, Proxim's circular pol solution, often allows it to operate closer to the noise floor because if it.

Sent: Sunday, March 19, 2006 6:47 PM

Charles you make a good point, but I’m going to throw a “but” in here:

 but the Orthogon / Canopy 300 radio’s will run also run at:

64 QAM .92 dual          -62 receive sensitivity              +18 output     (252.9 throughput)

64 QAM .75 dual          -68 receive sensitivity              +18 output    (206.7 throughput)

16 QAM .87 dual          -71 receive sensitivity              +20 output    (160.8 throughput)

Full list can be found in the release notes and if you do the math on those modulations you can get some very good performance.  I do agree with you that the licensed links would make more sense, but hanging 4 foot dishes on towers becomes a very expensive task or if you have to do a non-penetrating roof mount skid, the cost difference between the sleds is big.  So we have to take in more than the cost of the radio’s, licenses, leases and dishes but put together the total cost because if you are hanging BIG dishes you’re going to dig deeper into your pocket.

Sorry I missed you at the show, I’m on baby watch so when she saw wireless beer and gear she called foul and took away my kitchen pass L.

Dustin Jurman