Brad, it would be an interesting discussion, to "break down" what the
various costs are of networks at various scales of deployment.

Even more interesting, would be what kind of business model can be created
which shows profitability servicing residential customers at
price-competitive rates using ANY current offerings from Alvarion.

I know, I know...   This conversation always dies with someone stating you
have to get more revenue per customer than just "access" costs - something
nobody disagrees with, but if your business models REQUIRES you to sell VOIP
and something else on top of access, then you're not a "mainstream" ISP
again.  Instead, the conversation jumps to other topics of how to get your
average revenue up.   While 'reliability' and "features" have a worth that
can be assigned (not sure it can be accurately calcualted), if someone
offered a system that had 100Mbit FDX speeds to the c ustomer, gauranteed
100% reliability, and with all the bells and whistles, but cost $1000 per
customer...  Could the average mainstream WISP make a "go" of it?

And before we get all confused, I consider "mainstream" to mean the
following:

1.  provides multiple levels of service - from affordble residential, to
higher end commercial access
2.  is price-competitive with current levels of service and cost commonly
available.
3.  Has appropriate service levels for the vast majority of customers within
the defined geographical area serviced.

I dont' consider myself "mainstream" in the sense that I am not truly price
competitive and I do not offer the highest end connectivity.

Instead, I am a "niche" market ISP, because I have a relatively narrow focus
of providing connectivity to people / areas not otherwise served by
broadband.

Which brings me back to the "how to be a mainstream" WISP again.

The telephone company didn't choose a system with $500 CPE.   They have a
$50 CPE.    Same with Cable.   We can all understand the infrastructure
buildout and the considerable cost in building it, but even they grasp the
"cost of growth" limitation factor.    THEY are prepared to wage war at the
residential level, and are doing so.   We need the tools to get into that
war as well, WITHOUT a billionaire backing us.

There's more strategies than just the $50 CPE (I don't expect to see it), to
be sure.   What I see needed is options for all of them.

North East Oregon Fastnet, LLC 509-593-4061
Fast Internet, NO WIRES!
-