I'll take 200.

Rudolph Worrell wrote:

I am reading all of these posts and I see one thing here. Marketing! There is little sense to this but a great deal of marketing being done for Mesh, 4.9, and Muni WiFi. I see out of town guys chime in all the time and express how well they can deploy and integrate networks. I am very curious about the actual implementations they have done that involved a large mountain ranges with customers spaced every 5 miles who are behind trees, or has some obstruction to any towers. Better yet a neighborhood with devices on the same frequencies that you cannot control. My guess is that their lab and specs of their devices looks great but the actual deployment is a different story. We all know that 2.4Ghz, 900Mhz, and 5.8Ghz, all have their limitations, and will perform perhaps 10% to 20% worst than advertised. Do these guys know that? As for the marketing bit, I have a 2.4Ghz wireless device that can communicate at 100 mph, at distances of 100mi from the tower using 60foot dishes, giving a throughput of 200Mbps. It sells for $50,000.00 per Clieint bridge and $600,000.00 per AP. Who wants to buy?

Quoting Carl A Jeptha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Well to one-up you,
Our local Utility has been offered Wimax Radios to be used in a Mesh Network on a licensed Freq, so that they can read meters. What really gets me is that these people with a few carefully chosen words appear to know more than all of us put together. The gift of the GAB.

You have a Good Day now,

Carl A Jeptha
http://www.airnet.ca
office 905 349-2084
Emergency only Pager 905 377-6900
skype cajeptha

Brad Larson wrote:
I'm biting my tongue on this topic....I have been on enough of these
projects, well over 50 in the last 12 months alone, and I have to say
there
are a pile of people that don't know what they're getting into and many
will
get hurt. For instance, I have a unnamed mesh vendor quoting 14 nodes per
square mile for 100% coverage in a decent sized community in MA. They'll
need at least 40ish... And please keep in mind that different parts of the
Country where tree lines/foliage, noise floors, and topology are different
create their own separate challenges. Throw in voice as some of the
"wireless network experts" have advised and a whole new overlay of
problems
surface.

There is a place for mesh just like other tools in your kit but covering
whole counties or even trying to cover a whole City is quite a stretch
IMHO.
How did we get to this point of mesh first being considered a "convenience
or hotspot extension" to what it has become today where it is seen as the
4th solution to the last mile or a cost effective roaming solution for
public safety or city workers?
I have seen designs in the NE US where 40 to 69 2.4 Ghz nodes per square
mile are needed when a simple implement of 900 Mhz mobility with two base
stations (redundant) per square mile can do the trick and save 90% of the
cost of a mesh network. Use mesh in the parks, at the pool, in the
restaurant district, or anywhere else people may want public access. And
I'll add that opening up my notebook on a sunny day outside is pretty much
waste of battery power. I'm afraid Tempe AZ and St Cloud are just the
start
of some of the bad press we're going to see related to our wireless
industry.
But then again, I'm a show me guy so if one of these major networks
actually
works, has an ROI and doesn't become a boondoggle for tax payers, and
serves
the public well then I'll be impressed. Brad