To: "'WISPA General List'" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2006 11:45 AM
Subject: RE: [WISPA] Middle Class Spectrum Policy was:3650 equipment

I favor substantial use rules and also agree in rejecting squatters rights.
A method of issuing licenses I like is the following:

1. licenses are broken up into regional and local.
2. the government sets the price in advance
3. competing parties submit proposals
4. the proposals are evaluated on their benefit to the public
5. parties are also evaluated on their ability to implement
6. a proposal is picked, a license awarded, a timeframe set
7. parties failing in the timeframe requirement lose their license

That is a good model in some cases. I also think that auctions have their
place, but have to be carefully managed and evidence of collusion needs to
be punished massively. I also think unlicensed has its place, and I am all
for a registration requirement (not a license, but a registration of active
base stations for ALL commercial UL operators), which is something I
conceived of and proposed to the Spectrum Policy Task Force back in 2002.

With all do respect John, I do not buy the "power to the people" argument.
And I don't buy that all WISPs are pure and good and have the public
interest at heart. Most WISPs deploy to fill their capacity, they do not
deploy to address equity issues or to make sure that anyone in the cell that
wants access gets it. Most WISPs are just as much capitalists pigs as the
big guys, only on a smaller scale. And that is fine, but let's not pretend
there is some sort of special nobility just by virtue of being a WISP. I've
seen my share of folks that I consider noble, but it does not make their
business noble. And I've seen more than my share of opportunist scumbags
praying on customers, abusing rules, etc.

Nothing prevents anyone from creating a business plan that can attract
capital and investment and the government is under no obligation to offer
commercial rights to those that cannot. Many WISPs started very humbly and
succeeded brick by brick and now have multi-million dollar businesses.

If a BWA-dedicated UL is finally created, you should realize that anyone can
use it, even those companies you revile. There are no "rights" for use by
WISPs only.

Patrick Leary
AVP Marketing
Alvarion, Inc.