Frank,

In the same day as your post on WISPA, you are asking if anyone is filing comments to the BST-AT&T merger on other lists. Surely, your supporters will at least take 5 minutes to write a comment. No? Why not? Because it is easier to say I support something verbally than to actually do something.

It is free to join WISPA, yet only 71 have listed their names / signed up.

II4A hired 2 lobbyists to write 7 template letters each, so that the 14 templates would sound and look different. Just download, sign and fax to your Congress Critter. How many people downloaded them? Less than 15.

At ISP-CEO, you could not concisely explain what the lawsuit purpose or goal was. (Maybe you announced too early).
Then when pushed you said: Physical Separation.

As PA has been the only state to ever consider such a notion, perhaps viewing the outcome in that state would be appropriate. (Remember that PA let VZ have final approval of all muni BB projects, by law).

Bruce Kushnick at TeleTruth has reams of documents. Piles of data. Probably a smoking gun. Yet you poo-poo his attempts.

I was one of the early birds to see that Brand-X was a Pandora's Box. There was no victory possible. Recall last April, many legal and industry experts were betting that we would win Brand-X.

Part of me worries that the lawsuit will render all ISPs obsolete. Especially without a roadmap. And part of planning is to learn from others mistakes, not state: "Past experiences of others, especially those of impotent state PUC's do not interest me, times are different and so are the issues."

Cynthia has been pounding the halls of the Hill doing a great job. However, during this past year, this industry has been on the receiving end of some serious setbacks. Advocate. Lobbyist. The game is called Politics. It is played at a truly high level in DC with billions of dollars up for grabs. It's like playing Texas Hold-em with a handful of chips.

A little Anti-Trust history. The US vs. GE anti-trust case was dismissed after 9 years. "Assistant Attorney General in charge of the department's antitrust division, said the case had been dismissed because the passage of time had reduced the significance of the case and any court order the Government might win."

Microsoft had over 130 private anti-trust suits filed against it. Did anyone win one?
The US vs. MS lasted 5 years.
Covad filed against VZ, but that was just a bargaining move.
Covad is still suing BST, filed in 2002.
NorthPoint tried to sue VZ for $4B in anti-trust, but settled for a 5% ownership.
Sun has been suing Microsoft.
SCO is suing IBM.
Do you see the pattern here? Lots of big cases that take lots of time, energy, effort and money. And the only winners are the lawyers.

I say expend the energy building a business based on Layer 1 or Layer 7.

Regards,

Peter
RAD-INFO, Inc.

For history's sake:
Former Member of FISPA on Vendor Committee and Legislative Committeee (even chaired the LC) One of the Founders of the Independent ISPs for America (www.ii4a.org) and currently part-time director.
Search the FCC comment site: 17 filed comments