I don't think i am unrealistic. We built a platform from off-the-shelf parts that meets our requirements for under $500. How well that will work outside of our lab coupled with the time it took to build tells us we want nothing to do with building our own. I am aware of what mesh products companies like Tropos offer since we deploy Tropos networks ourselves. However, they don't meet our requirements in some cases and in other cases are overkill for what we need.

Ultimately, I willing to pay more than $600 for the unit if it makes sense. I just threw out what I was looking to pay.

-Matt

Charles Wu wrote:

Hi Matt,

To throw in a dose of realism -- even if you roll your own Mikrotik solution
- it will most likely cost you more than the $300-600 / unit budget that you
have (and you get ZERO support =)

Example

RB532A: $185
SR5: $105
SR2: $105

All that is is a board and 2 radio cards -- then you still need to add in
pigtails / poe / enclosures / stand-offs / antennas / PITA factor / etc

Then you got to figure out how to make it work =)

For a complete, supported w/ manuals/etc, FCC CERTIFIED system -- you will
probably be in the $1k+ / unit ballpark (or $3k+ if you go Strix, Tropos,
Firetide, Skypilot, etc)

-Charles

CWLab
Technology Architects