From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of David E. Smith
Sent: Monday, August 14, 2006 1:36 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Re: [Ham-80211] Which PDA to buy as a WiFi Finder?

On Mon, August 14, 2006 10:48 am, Marlon K. Schafer (509) 982-2181 wrote:
> I don't know if it'll work on a pda but this program is very helpful.  I
> use it quite a bit.  Won't show non wifi systems, but it sounds like
> that's all you need it to do.  Best one out there.  Most wireless ISPs I
> know use it.
> http://www.netstumbler.com/
>
> Anyone out there have any suggestions for Don?  Remember to reply to his
> personal address as you'll not be able to reply to the mailing list his
> post came from.

If the original sender ONLY needs a wi-fi detector, you can get those at
Staples for about thirty bucks. I think it's actually called just that, a
"wi-fi detector," or something very similar.

For us WISP folks, obviously things get a bit trickier. If I weren't
terrified to crack it open, I'd love to take a recent PDA, solder on an
antenna lead, and use that, plus NetStumbler, plus a plain old flat-panel
antenna (like we use for many of our customer installs) and get most of
the benefits of a BVS Yellowjacket without the $3000 price tag. :)

David Smith
MVN.net