Id never said they couldn't be paid by the hour. I used to work for a roofing
company, and they were regularly questioned about they way they paid their
employees. If you have someone work in your office at for 6 hours, and then
they go and "flat-rate" a 3 hour job, that looks like overtime to me, but then
I am in California, and the labor laws here are more stringent than in a lot of
other places.

John