From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Matt Liotta
Sent: Sunday, September 24, 2006 11:15 AM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] vendor specs

I have yet to use an Alvarion radio or for that matter one without RSSI.
However, I would think that using SNR is a perfectly reasonable way to
align a link.

-Matt

G. villarini wrote:
> Patrick,
>
> Rssi is very important to determine if a link is properly aligned and its
achieving its link budget.

> Altough we don't use alvarion(yet), we are currently researching backhaul
options and the way we comission ptp links here is that we run the calcs on
radio mobile and spreedsheet to determine the link budget in advance to
implementation.  Snr won't help much there...

> Gino

RSSI
>     less sophisticated and a less useful number than SNR since it is only
an
>     indication of receive signal without discounting noise? SNR provides a
>     more accurate representation of wanted signal since it discounts for
>     unwanted noise.
>
>     Not sure of your complaint about the RJ45. No one else remarks about
it
>     and we don't have issues with water intrusion. In other words, it
works
>     well. If the opening was enlarged you increase the potential for water
>     intrusion.
>
>     Following the color code? Yes, as an old cabling guy, I would agree.
But

********