Comments inline:

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, September 25, 2006 4:49 PM
To: 'WISPA General List'
Subject: RE: [WISPA] vendor specs

Hello Brad,

Forgive me as I just now realized you are with Alvarion and not an end user.
Refresh my memory; did we speak on the phone a few weeks ago regarding our
initial VL deployment?  If so, I want to publicly thank you for your time
and expertise.  Your input is/was valuable and I appreciate it.

:No it wasn't me.

Regarding the "findings" I think dual band and dual polarity have been
proven beneficial for many years and long before wISPs even existed.

:No not at all. Not for Unlicensed OFDM PTMP gear-send me the study or
authority who has done the research.

Dual polarity agility can help in issues unrelated to noise.  Thermal
ducting is one scenario where simply flipping polarity can in some cases
improve a link suffering.  Why suffer when you could flip a switch and get
your client back up and running?

:answered above.

Dual band goes without saying as a benefit to the product.  If Alvarion
engineers are concerned about loosing sensitivity simply add a separate
radio for the 5.3GHz band.  I think you, Tom, me and others know this is a
copout by Alvarion R&D engineers and one radio can be made to support both
bands with insignificant drawbacks.

:No, I don't have a single customer in NE USA asking for a dual radio
design. Not one. There is no groundswell of customers asking so at the
moment it would be a waste of resources.

Over subscription hasn't been the issue with the VL we have deployed.  Noise
and the lack of tools in the VL toolbox due to hardware limitations has been
the Achilles heel.

:OK, and I wonder how full a tool box is really needed? I only experienced a
5 mile PTMP VL scenario in a tier one city that had such a noise issue.
Shorter links would have worked just fine and do. Every city is different.
This may very well be the case with your network and your tastes but at the
same time were delivering a product that a crap load of people are happy
about in it's current state.

Best,

Brad