To: "'WISPA General List'" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Monday, September 25, 2006 9:14 PM
Subject: RE: [WISPA] vendor specs -- Jon

Well, so far as we can tell the only thing that can kill canopy, IS CANOPY. We have put it up against WaveRider, Alvarion, and 802.11b. They all fell of
the face of the earth.

We have 16 tower sites deployed, all 900Mhz and 2.4, over 1000 CPE and more
on the way. (I realize there are many people bigger than us.)

We use a mix of MTI Omni's, MTI or Tiltek 120deg Sectors (MTI for Horizontal and Tiltek for Vertical) and integrated 60deg sectors (I really wish someone would come out with a descent H-pol as I don't like the integrated antenna)
with 900. Cyclone Omni's or 120deg sectors on 2.4.

Here is what I have found with GPS Sourced Sync vs. Generate Sync:

If you want channel reuse you need GPS sourced sync.
If you have a tower more than 8 miles away, you need to use different
channels no matter what, even with GPS sourced sync you still have speed of
light issues from tower to tower.

Can you Generate sync and deploy multiple AP's in a given area, yes. You
just need to make sure you have Frequency separation. Does this mean I
recommend it, NO.

Also even with every site GPS Synced, you still can only put so many AP's in a given area be for you need to go to a different polarity. At least we know
there will never be another 900Mhz based ISP in one of our towns.....

Also on a side note, I have never found a problem with 2.4, it is 900 that
will give you problems, it just carries so far. If the noise floor was
lower, and Canopy could run at -90 we would have coverage for a long ways.
It seems like we can always pick up a AP at -80.

YMMV.

Mike Bushard, Jr
Wisper Wireless Solutions, LLC