From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Mike Ireton
Sent: Sunday, October 01, 2006 2:45 PM
To: wireless@wispa.org
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Diagnosing interference

Ralph Fowler wrote:
> Spectran?  Are you talking about the software for a PC sound card?
> That's not going to do what you want, for sure!
> There really isn't a cheap solution.

We have an expensive hand held unit, looks like an alien ray gun, that
does a range of 0 - 6ghz with down to 1mhz resolution per step. The
problems are not enough resolution (can't see any difference between
-80dbm and -60dbm, or at least, not without a lot of time consuming
tweeking and such), and no real-time sweeping capabillity, making a
complete pass take too long for direction finding activities (or at
least, for my reletive level of inexperience).

What I'd want, I think, is a crt with the wavy lines updated in near
real time, in a hand held unit I can take into the field and really see
what and where things are. I don't care too much about formallities, I'd
just like to see that, yes, there's a -37 between 2454 and 2459mhz and
that's why this link isn't working.

There were a few units from Berkeley Varitronics that we were
considering at one point, but unfortunately we couldn't be permitted to
receive a live demonstration and so that $4,000 sale had to be postponed
indefinately because we don't buy expensive equipment we're not
permitted to try out first. And that's too bad because they really do
seem to have some quite useful field testing equipment more tuned and
designed for wisp field use than the generic spectrum analysis tools
previously mentioned.

Mike-