Blake,

First, I did not realize you were a tower leasor guy :-)

Yes, I agree your first three comments are the most relevant to tower leasors.

But my post was not about what was important to tower companies, it was about what was important to the WISP leasee using unlicensed spectrum, which is different than the need of tenants that use licensed spectrum. License Spectrum has predictabilty and upfront defined needs. Unlicensed needs flexibilty. Licensed has plenty of time for planning and change. Unlicensed requires immediate (timely) response to adapt. Tower companies generally do not move fast, and they typcally do not sign contracts with out limits set on what will get deployed. WISPS need contracts for gear that would potentially be installed but could have various substitutions. Tower companies are used to Telcos that know exactly what they needs based on the template used at 1000s of other towers.

When I lease, I want to buy the right to the whole spectrum range, with exclusive use of it, which I eventually get, or I do not use the tower. Tower companies are typically very sceptical about doing a lease of that type that will limit themselves in future transactions, or their abilty to get re-use out of the spectrum to maximize their revenue opportunities. When I lease, I build as I go, becaue their is a finite amount of spectrum, and I don't know where my clients will end up being located and what type of link will be needed, until after the fact. So I might throw up a couple APs initially, but that will vary over time as required to deliver the product my subscribers demand. Tower companies on the other hand tend to want an equipment list in advance of the agreement, but the equipment list doesn;t exist at the time the lease needs to be signed because the customers aren;t had yet, because the tower rights have not been secured yet. So What has to happen is a lease needs to be signed based on spectrum that needs to be used, and/or broad generic description of gear.

Any freqency specific stuff is normally covered by our
first in, last out clause.

Thats great, as long as you are willing to grant first in access, based on what is contracted that would eventually be installed by the individual that bought the right. How do you measure non-interference if one's gear is not yet installed?

If we add a customer to the tower
that causes inteference to an existing customer, they need
to fix the problem, otherwise, find another
tower.

Yes, but thats not good enough, the damage is already done once the interference occurs. A WISPs wants more certainty that best practices will be taken that will improve changes that interference will be avoided. For example if I own 5.8 rights, not allowing someone to try 5.8G prevents the interference from happening in the first place. Without exclusivity, one can not determine what interference would happen in the future when channels need moving around or power increased, because environmental noise forces channels changes on sectors. Typical Non-Interferemce clauses were generally written with static noise conditions in mind, not constant changing conditions.

What it boils down to is that a tower owner needs to either accept that they are better off leasing to only one leeasee from the tower per band, and then its real easy for everyone, or have a specific plan or agreement between all parties, how the multiple providers will co-exist. For example, on the one or two cases where we were not given exclusivity or could not afford to buy it because it was not needed, we've added clauses such that tower owner was required to notify us of any co-tenants that were going to deploy in our channel range. We've had cases were we've lost customers because we thought we had noise we could do nothing about, thinking it was in the environment since no one else supposedly was on our tower, but then learned months later it was a co-located tenant stomping on us.

These are some of the issues that I was referring to. I have no idea how your company works, and what policies you have, but my guess is that if you are a smaller tower company, you's probably do do a better job, just because you's be less likely to be limited by generic policies, and willing to take the time to work out a agreement to meet the tenant's need.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband

----- Original Message ----- From: "Blake Bowers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>