Since clients are talking to this particular CM9 I assume your using a
sector or an omni? Are you using Coax surge protector that is properly
grounded? Atheros cards are using a rf selector switch which is fairly
sensitive and easily get damaged which results in about 20dB signal loss
which in many cases means no association from clients. The other radio is
also a CM9 but your using a highly directional antenna that don't pick up as
much static energy as an omni (worst ones) or sector.

/ Eje