I prefer to speak for myself regarding MVN policy on overtime since I run the company. We do not work our salaried staff like sled dogs regardless of the way Dave may have been misunderstood in his message. Dave did include a smiley face which was supposed to indicate he was joking. I have never told staff that they have to work more than 40 hours per week without compensation. I have told them that as a salary worker they are to make sure the job is done at all times regarding their position. Only professional level staff are on salary. They are not required to maintain a daily log of their time. They can and are encouraged to come and go as they please to handle their personal and work lives. If they work a long day I would expect them to take the next day off or leave early, etc. This is called "comp" time and is a legitimate way of handling settlement of extra work hours. I know that my staff understands this. My labor intensive techs work by the hour. They get paid time and a half for anything over 40 hours per week. They get paid sick time. They get paid personal days. They get paid vacations. They get paid holidays. They get bonuses. Just setting the record straight here.
Scriv

Faisal Imtiaz wrote:

"  Put 'em on salary, that way you can work them as much as you want without
guilt. ;) "

That would be incorrect big-time.....  Check you local labor laws.

Most states, just because someone is on 'Salary' does not automatically make
them in-eligible for over-time pay.

Keep your life simple, and your moral & principles intact for the long run.
A work week is 40Hr, when someone works more than that, the need to paid
Overtime pay.
There are other ways to deal with 'spike' in work time durations, Comp-time,
variable schedule etc.

The bigger issue in reality is .... How not to overburden and Burnout your
after hours person !
These folks are a lot harder to find, if and when you loose such a person,
you would be paying a very heavy personal price for it....

Faisal Imtiaz
SnappyDSL.net