So you are saying we won't have a bunch of products to choose from that work together like with WiFi?

Jeffrey Thomas wrote:

Brian,

Standards don't really matter unless you have interop on the mac layer as
well as QOS.With just MAC and phy layer interoperability, the only thing
that will be supported is simple bridging and routing when you use seperate
vendor's CPE and Base stations.  btw, no one is currently supporting QOS
interoperability.
Also currently there is only one company that has released 5.8 product
using 802.16a technology and is expected to be interoperable should other
vendors roll out product utilizing a 10mhz channel width. The whole Wimax
revolution really doesn't matter to Wisp's in the US if unlicensed bands are
never expected to be supported.

-

Jeff