From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Mike Ireton
Sent: Saturday, December 16, 2006 1:19 PM
To: wireless@wispa.org
Subject: Re: [WISPA] A wisp who went a little too far.......

The really interesting part of this:

> The attack cut off service for one woman who was waiting for an e-mail
> notifying her about the availability of an organ transplant that she
> required, according to prosecutors. Because of her critical status,
> her provider gave her priority status and restored her access within 24
hours.

> "Had her medical providers sent her an e-mail notifying her of a
> suitable organ donor and had she not responded because of her lost
> Internet access, she might have lost her priority for an organ, thus
> potentially extending the period she would have to wait for another
> donor," wrote prosecutors in the indictment.

        People are starting to believe their email is guaranteed and that
their computers can be entrusted with life saving information. Worse yet, it
appears these prosecutors would have trumped this up and made hay out of it
had her mail not gotten there. So in another context - what if the stock
pump and dump scammers started using wrapper text that mentioned organ
donations to the point of poisoning the Bayesian databases of all
spamassassin enabled mail servers? What if the mail has been blocked
outright due to other spam filtering already in place? Or put into a
quarantine and she didn't look in her quarantine box in time? Or if the
sending server of the mail was on an RBL due to some other user at the site
sending spam to spamcop spamtraps for example?

        Drama is drama. I think what this guy did was reprehensible and he
certainly deserves the clink, but what he did is not any kind of threat or
risk to health and safety - the stupidity of using email and computers for
life saving communications IS.

$0.02

Mike-