From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Mark Koskenmaki
Sent: Tuesday, December 26, 2006 10:57 AM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] once again, several of the key...

Hopefully you understand all of those:)

Part of Marlon's issue with the basic 802.11 system is talked about
below,
but of course, since it's there, the "tuneability" helps, but does not
resolve the issue.

I beleive Marlon's reference to CSMA / CA is two pronged.   While it's
true
that recieved noise will block transmission, it also blocks reception of
ACK
packets, meaning a "double" whammy.   During periods of high noise or
repetitive noise,  not only does the AP wait to transmit, it then fails
beleive that the transmission was accepted.  After so many of thse
failures,
it then renegotiates the rate at which it's connected and tries again.
While these are not the same process, they do link to each and occur in
cascade-type failure.

I have seen data on a nearly clear channel suddenly have a 200, 300 or
more
ms interruption while this "cascade" occurs...  repettive noise, rate
renegotiations and contention window increases, and ack failures from
weak
clients all cause all clients to have that momentary communication
block.

I believe there have been quite a number of interesting means of
addressing
this,  as I recall some products from Trango don't "ack" packets, but
instead allows the higher layer controls to ensure data integrity, while
some versions seem to have a mechanism to request retransmits.   There,
of
course, are polling type systems, and so on.   Each has its perceived
strengths and weaknesses.

Overall, while what you post below is quite interesting, I doubt that
most
of us (including me) fully grasp what tuning each of these parameters
does
"in real life" and why you'd use them and under what circumstances.
Thus,
I really don't know what effect in real life all this ability to "muck
with
the works" will have.   I have seen real world demonstrations of how
differring equipment using the exact same hardware, but different
settings
for many of those settings performs dramatically different.   But not
understanding the full picture of what each does, I cannot "estimate" in
my
mind their worth, nor how much they alleviate the various issues that
are
part of the nature of 802.11 based systems.

I also don't see any mention of packet aggregation or hardware
compression,
which would be wonderful things to have, and would improve the overall
"life" and performance of the system.

I believe what most of the respondents have at issue here is really the
reliance upon 802.11, which is simply NOT anywhere near "great" when it
comes to WISP use.     Yes, it appears that you can raise the threshold
for
ignoring noise, and you can tune the system to better cope with varioius
kind of situations - distance,  colocated small cells, etc.  And then
the
high inefficiency that 802.11 introduces with it's "ack" mechanism and
the
large amount of access point time spent doing nothing but passing time,
waiting for ACK packets.

Please understand, I am neither criticizing nor praising, it just
appears to
me that people are talking past each other, and that neither I nor at
least
some of the readers, really understand what real life value these things
have.

neofast.net - fast internet for North East Oregon and South East
Washington
email me at mark at neofast dot net
541-969-8200
Direct commercial inquiries to purchasing at neofast dot net