>Where's the disagreement Rich. I said the WiMAX MAC was not ready for UL

I hear you.  My disagreement is that a UL wisp standard SHOULD have been ready
YEARS ago.

HiperMAN is different than HiperLAN/2 (I incorrectly called it HyperLAN2 in the
it'll be 2007.  The spec for HiperLAN/2 was completed back in 2000 ... that's 7
years ago!  5 years ago there were prototype HiperLAN/2 products produced by
Mitsubishi, NTT/Panasonic, Sharp, Sony, Stepmind, Theta and Thomson.  Then ...
something happened.  802.11a was shipping in the US, the 802.11h standard was
adopted (adding DFS and TPC required for European acceptance), and the
HiperLAN/2 coalition seemed to evaporate overnite.

Apparently nobody considered the US UL wisp market as a viable candidate to
sell the Hiperlan/2 products completed back in 2002, and I can't find any
record of products ever being offered here.  I can understand it, as it was
driven by all large manufacturers anticipating the wireless LAN market volumes
(which UL wisps can't come close to in collective volume).  It's kind of funny
that no wisp manufacturer offered any US HiperLAN/2 like products, while
Motorola's Canopy was actually architecturally very similar to HiperLAN/2
(except for the non-OFDM layer1).

Again, in a few days it'll be 2007 and they're still arguing over an UL WiMAX
standard?  Why not try the HiperLAN/2 standard completed long ago?  Why?
Because the standards participants are committed to licensed WiMAX
manufacturing and are looking for a new UL standard with high commonality with
licensed WiMAX / mobile WiMAX.  It's a business decision to maximize return on
their collective WiMAX chip investments.  Unfortunately there's no UL wisp
business coalition with sufficient standing to drive manufacturers for what "UL
wisps" need ... (yet).

Rich