Find some satellite TV contractors that want to know more. Ive found
them to be pretty skilled and slick at doing quality installs.
chris

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Tom DeReggi
Sent: Friday, December 29, 2006 2:59 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: [WISPA] Training Contractors

I am going to attempt to hire some new CPE installers, as contractors,
paid
by the job (peice work).  (I see market rate around $100-$150 per
job -residential).
Finding guys that ALREADY know how to do it correctly, is not likely.
This
brings me to Training.

How are you training the installers?  Are you making them do a mandatory

time period shadowing/apprenticing with one of your existing installers?
If
so, does their pay change for that period?
Are you bringing them in-house for a significant duration Trainging
Class?
For example, a 1 week class room training?  What minimum requirements do
you
expect them to have to be worthy to be trained?  I hear that many are
successfull hiring X-Satelite TV installers, but they are not likely to
have
extensive TCPIP experience.

Its not easy finding a guy thats willing to climb a ladder daily and
also
had his free time being spent as a computer geek.  They are two
different
breed people (The worken man and the intellectual). Do you train the
geek to
climb a ladder, or train the ladder climber to be a geek?  I find that
applicants that have physical labor backgrounds work faster, and enjoy
their
job as being a wireless installer, as adds many new challenges and is
easier
work.  But the training can be tough starting at ground zero, how to
configure the LAPTOP with an IP address.  When I employed, and paid by
the
hour or salary, it was pretty easy to figure out who to hire.  But
contracting, a whole new set of issues arise.

12/28/2006