Johnny, you are probably right. There was a guy who was arrested recently sitting in his car in front of someones house and we all discussed it and there was 2 opinions:
1- If it aint secured, it's open and it 'should' be ok.
2- if you don't have permission your "stealing" regardless of it being an unsecured ap.

So there ya go, your probably right, but I bet you'd have an awfully hard time getting anyone to listen in the event of an emergency.. I doubt a cop is going to arrest anyone.

So whats the point?

George

JohnnyO wrote:
*** Jack Wrote .

---2. No, I am not saying that using illegal means to gain Internet
access is OK. You are putting words into my mouth and I'm not going to let you get away with that. I said that in an emergency, accessing an available open access point to provide communications for emergency personnel is OK. If you doubt that, I invite you to run it by the FCC for their
opinion.

Jack - would you mind asking an FCC Official if this is legal or illegal
? I certainly hope that a ham operator can't break laws in order to
steal an internet connection from an UNKNOWING person or business... The
idea of them using someone's internet connection WITH permission during
an emergency is COMPLETELY different then them just loggin on at will to
an OPEN access point. It's illegal if they don't have permission.

JohnnyO