I'd like to throw this out for the weekend. I want to gather some ideas for IMPLEMENTATIONS you'd like to see with existing RouterOS technology. I have a few that I can think of off the top of my head that I will try to get documented (some possibly for free - to be posted on my website). For example:

1. Automated virus detection - this application would need to be able to detect virus like activity (whatever that means) and automatically cause the offender - if they are on-net - to be disconnected except for the ability to visit http://housecall.antivirus.com and test to see if they have removed the virus(es) before allowing full access again.

2. Automatically build a list of valid SMTP servers based on servers that have been used to check email (I've done this one several times). This will prevent those viruses and spam trojans from getting your IP blacklisted if you NAT.

3. Queue mechanism that implements an automated fair access policy (similar to what some of the satellite companies do) - I have done something SIMILAR to this, but implementing this properly will take a bit more work.

OK...So I've got you started...now step forth with your ideas (either implemented already or just a "wish-list") and let's come up with some really cool stuff! While we're at it, you can let me know what you think of the above ideas...are they worth the effort?

--
Butch Evans
http://www.butchevans.com/