Hi Mike,

> Off the subject, but if you are a major operator then you are most
certainly using cisco in your core,

You might be surprised.  That might have been true at one point, but
probably is not now.  :-)

> and eigrp is standard in cisco enviroments and makes sense if it's
available to you.

Then it's not a standard, but a proprietary protocol.  Actually, Cisco
generally recommends BGP at this point and not EIGRP.

> Like 802.1q and ISL - you could do 802.1q and interoperate, or just ISL
and have the benefits of better across the board management and
configuration flexibillity, at the cost of interoperabillity with non cisco
gear.

> Personally I would go with cisco for everything if I could, but last time
I checked, they don't have anything I can comfortablly install and run off
solar power in low temprature enviroments....

If you are seeking solutions for this sort of application, ImageStream can
help:

http://www.imagestream.com/Envoy.html  -10C to =65C certification available

http://www.imagestream.com/R1.html  -20C to +70C  12/24 and 48 volt DC
available.