From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Travis Johnson
Sent: Sunday, December 31, 2006 12:46 AM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] TRUCKPC

Hi,

Why would this company pay for WiFi access when they are now getting all the
access they need for free? It's actually a great idea... have the trucks
scan all the time and once they find an open AP, connect and upload all
their info.

Travis
Microserv

Ralph wrote:
I was on the way to one of our remote towers today and was on the interstate

next to two US Express trucks.  I turned on a sniffer to see if they also

had access points on them, but there was nothing. I guess they just scan,

looking for free wireless to use.

Being bored with the drive, I was thinking about the TRUCKPC thing a lot and

had an idea to make some code changes to the mobile access point I have in

my vehicle. Its hooked up to a verizon card and I have a roving EVDO to WIFi

hot spot gateway.  ( see  http://ralphfowler.com/stompbox/index.htm ) I

could make a couple of code changes to allow the box to also sniff a bit and

see exactly what these things are doing when they find a free internet

connection.

I was also thinking that we, as an industry, could possibly cut a deal with

Drivertech to allow their customers to have access to our networks.  Of

course there would be a lot more to work out and I'm not the guy for that

job ;-)

Just some Saturday musings...