Kimo- please explain what Webnetic is.

Numbering my responses to Kimo's questions:

1. Right now, a handful of cities (I think they are the 3 Metro-Fi cities in
Silicon Valley, plus Mtn View) are getting 1Mb. This is totally dependent of
the depth of the pockets of Metro-Fi's backers and on the advertising
revenues.  Ever play with a puppy in a pet store? They are so cute, you just
have to take it home.  If the business model doesn't pay out i.e.: They
don't get enough paying subscribers or they don't get the revenue from the
ads, then you will see it change. Not saying that was Metricom's demise, but
they had few users and any Metro network takes gobs of money to build out.
I've seen it first hand... With this model and with the equipment that will
be used in SF. It ain't free and it ain't cheap!

2. So Seattle will have it in 10 years.  By then, there will be something
bigger and better. Will the SF residents have to wait 10 years too?  Not
something I'd be willing to do- especially when I was faced with a proposal
from someone who will do it for free and assume all the risk.  What has SF
got to lose?

3.  Milpitas, CA.  No tall residential buildings (but some are under
construction.  A 24-30 ft high access point with the relatively low gain of
the Tropos antennas will have a good amount of upward radiation.  It isn't
that much better of an antenna than a dipole would be.  It certainly has
little, if any, directional abilities.  It may not go up into a 30 story
hotel or apartment house, but how many residence in SF are in those?  That
can easily be the 5 or 10 % allowed not to be covered.  Most of my friends
in SF live in 2-4 story abodes.  According to the web page, the CPE is given
with a paid connection anyway, so there's no-one not getting one except for
the people taking the freebie.  Even if I chose to live in a place that
required use of a CPE, it is no different than buying an XM receiver to
listen to XM, or buying a transistor radio or boom box to listen to free
radio.

I really don't see what the whole hoo-ha is about. A company is willing to
build this out, for no taxpayer cost- giving away free service that is 6
times faster than dial up.  If I lived there and had nothing (or still had
dialup) I would jump on it in a heartbeat.   Imagine for a moment that EL
was to walk away.  The city (which will admittedly be one of the hardest in
the World to cover) will have no immediate service to compete with cable and
phone, much less a free service.

It all sounds like a lobby from the telcos and cablecos to me. It is a
tempest in a teapot.