Our company sells to US, European, and South American cable companies.
Outside the US, we see that the dominant service plan is broadband with a
byte cap.

Inside the US that is rare probably due to the US having been the birthplace
of the Internet and the widespread reverence for it as a system with
"universal" deeply embedded into its concept...universal connectivity,
universal access, universal usage for whatever you want and nobody can tell
you what you can do with your connection.  That also appears to be related
to the widespread revulsion to the Telcos' proposal to have the ability to
charge content/service sources to be available to their subscribers.

I don't know if byte cap plans will make a dent in the market in this
country at any time soon.  However, the BitTorrent applications open
thousands of TCP flows and often run 24 hours a day, unattended.  That is
causing a real problem for the providers.  When they throttle down those
guys, they get complaints because the users are often sophisticated enough
to be able to measure it. Nevertheless, broadband providers are increasingly
including references to "abuse" and consequences in their terms of service.

Byte caps are also problematic...especially when most homes have multiple
PCs and the kids are free to initiate one of these BitTorrent monsters to
get movies and games while they're at school or asleep...without their
parents understanding what's happening.  Such households could easily reach
almost any arbitrary byte cap very early within a billing cycle and cause
significant resentment from the very folks that pay the bill.

On the other hand, perhaps it's their responsibility to control what their
kids do that can run up a bill.  The parallel with kids and their family
plan cell phone usage is a valuable lesson...except that there is often no
competitive Internet broadband service that the parents can migrate to that
would offer less risk (such as the cell plans that give kids a fixed bite at
the apple every month).

. . . j o n a t h a n