To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 03, 2007 12:38 PM
Subject: [WISPA] Typical OFDM CPE antennas

I wanted to get some feedback from the List.

Typically, what Dbi gain antennas are you desiring for OFDM short Near-LOS or Mid-range CPE links?
Is 18 dbi enough?

I'm well aware that 18dbi will not be good for many applications (long range or noisy), but what percentage of CPE installtions would it be good for?
Could 75% of the CPE installs be acheived with 18dbi?

I personally, would pick a 21-23db antenna as a preferred choice, but PacWireless Rootennas are 19dbi, and often used with 13-15 dbm CM9 cards. The beamwidth of 18dbi (< 20-30 degrees) is pretty good for interference resilience and OFDM maximized, and if more gain was needed it could be accommodated with higher power radios such Teletronic's >18dbm Atheros cards or Ubiquiti's SR5 18-26db cards.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband

George Rogato