Ross Cornett wrote:
We have used linksys and netgear and their broadband routers have not held up very well.
No matter what brand of router you're talking about, you'll find a number of people who say "wow, that's junk" and an equal number of people that say "wow, that's awesome."

With that disclaimer out of the way, I've actually been quite happy with Linksys gear - as long as you buy the RIGHT Linksys gear. The ever-popular WRT54G router went down the tubes about a year and a half ago, for instance; we have some still in use after two or three years (the older ones) but I've also got about a dozen of the newer ones in the office that, frankly, I don't know what to do with. I won't give them to customers because I /like/ my customers, and I couldn't return them because they're not technically defective.

The Linksys WRT54GL, though, is pure concentrated awesome in a plastic box. (Basically, after the massive public outcry, Linksys took the older 54G hardware, gave it a new part number, and added about five bucks to the wholesale price.)

As a benefit, if you're inclined to tinker, there's lots of after-market firmware for the WRT54GL (and older WRT54G units) that add lots of nifty features. Heck, if you're so inclined, you can use one as an all-purpose CPE; there are two different client modes, where you can have it operate as a transparent bridge, or even as a wireless client/NATting router. Obviously this disables the "access point" functionality, but that's not necessarily a bad trade-off for a 802.11g client/router that can be had for about sixty bucks.