From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Butch Evans
Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 3:40 AM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: RE: [WISPA] Form 445

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, wispa wrote:

Uhmm, Butch... No, they're not "asking for a means". They're insisting that we build the tap into our network, at our expense, prior to a request ( whether we got any requests or not ), to provide them data in a specific form.

And what form is that data going to take? You don't know. You are being alarmist, in that you are getting bent out of shape over something you don't even KNOW. THAT is what I said.

The FACT is that the government MUST have a means to gathering information for criminal prosecutions. Even you can't deny that. That means (when it comes to Internet traffic) MUST happen at the ISP level. WHY? Because MANY ISPs HIDE THEIR CUSTOMERS. It happens behind every ISP who decides that NAT is "necessary". Sorry, but that is one thing that makes it necessary for them to gather data on YOUR network. They HAVE to be able to gather data on a specific suspect.

THAT is precisely what I said, nothing more, and nothing less.

REALLY? Maybe when I read these words from YOUR email address, it was a government conspiracy that sent them to point the finger at you. Here are SOME of the things you said:

<SNIP>
I said that not resisting regulation would kill us.

The process has begun. We marched in to be fleeced, smiling and bleating
softly.

Been nice knowing you folks.
</SNIP>

and here
<SNIP>
the federal govenrment has just taken wholesale control of the ISP
business.
</SNIP>

and here
<SNIP>
You can bet that any "industry" standard derived will derived with the input from the telecoms to bankrupt as many small ISP's as possible.

I predict that in 2 years there will not be enough WISP's left to fund WISPA at all, unless the dues go up on the order 20 to 50 times.
</SNIP>

and here
<SNIP>
we need to work at launching the largest "industry and public" backlash ever, to end this sort of stuff...
</SNIP>

Perhaps I'm the only one reading "alarmist" into your words...

Up to this point, the LEA's had to pony up the means of tapping and grabbing the data they wanted. Which, in my view, is fair and equitable. Why should we all pay for and design a network around some system few will ever use?

Read the documentation again...I'm not here to educate you, but the fact is that your network is NOT going to have to be "designed around" anything.

CALEA was NOT written for ISP's or VOIP. The FCC and DOJ have broadened its meaning all on their own.

No, it wasn't written for that purpose. But, the world is not the same as it was when the CALEA laws were penned. Times change and so do the laws. My only suggestion is to do 2 things:

1. Like it or not, the law is the law, and you MUST follow it. If you decide to break the law, I hope you are caught and punished.

2. Don't ASSUME (you know about that word, right?) that every law is a government conspiracy to put you out of business.

OH...it wouldn't hurt if you'd take your meds...