Mark:

You're overlooking one critical difference between PCs and Wireless systems.

PCs are UNintentional radiators, with radiated power levels that are very, very low.

Wireless systems are intentional radiators, at significant power levels, and through unintended mixing, have the potential to disrupt other communications systems, including critical systems like public safety.

This is a very real fear of the FCC, borne out over nearly 100 years of experience now with the evolution of wireless technology.

These things DO happen, and having a proliferation of unlicensed systems out there with significant power levels (EIRP) can cause havoc.

When a WISP slaps together a system, do they hook it up to a spectrum analyzer to insure that substantially all the radiated energy is contained within the desired band? No, they don't.

Um, the FCC is getting innovation and advancement - look at Clearwire. When there weren't Clearwire, NextWave, Sprint Nextel and AT&T actively deploying Broadband Wireless Internet Access, the FCC needed WISPs. Now they've got those big players starting to deploy and they can point to them as a success story for Broadband Wireless Internet Access.

Thanks,

Steve