On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 20:52:04 -0800, Patrick Leary wrote
> George, ones person's "innovation" is something that might another
> person nothing but migraines. If you think you getting cutting edge
> innovation and state of the art technology from the uncertified
> manufacturers I don't know what to tell you except your technology
> exposure may be a bit narrow.

But Patrick, it's NOT "uncertified manufacturers" as if we're talking about
some big greedy corporation.

Unless you refer to me.  Or the guy down the street.  Or even the woman over
in the next town.  Or THOUSANDS of people all over the world who find that
what they want to do is either not supported by something off the shelf, or
never even conceived by some engineer, or didn't make it past the marketing
and budgeting departments.

Download an open and free bit of Linux.  Buy a surplus CPU board.  Buy
whatever radio module you want or need.  Put it in a box and VIOLA, you
already have more features most WISP Network operators wnat, than Alvarion
can figure out how to put in a box.

Does it have "cutting edge" RF qualities?  Nope.   Does it have Cisco quality
routing?  Nope.  Does it have -100 to +200 degree temperature range?  Nope.

But, none of those are required.  I don't have to the BEST rf front end and
features to be successful.  I just have to have to have the ones I find
necessary, and the ability to get those things changed I need changed.  And
these people are endlessly exploring and refining mesh networks, customer
controls, routing, etc, etc... and THEY NEVER STOP.

So, if I want the lowest priced VL stuff to route and do NAT at the
customer's end, will Alvarion  build it in for me?  No?  Gee, that's already
in the FREE stuff.  Huh.

Next time you whine that there's "uncertified manufacturers", you're talking
about the workshops, desks, garages, offices, or even spare bedrooms of
THOUSANDS and thousands of people spread all around the country.

And we shoulid NOT be stifled by a rigid and corporate-centric regulatory
straightjacket.